What To Do with Scrap Yarn




You found the perfect pattern for that gorgeous skein of yarn and when you finish your work of art, you look lovingly at your handiwork. But then you look at the small ball of leftover yarn. It's not large enough to make socks, and you definitely aren't going to throw it away, so what can you use it for.

Let's look at a few things you can do with leftover scraps of yarn.

Pom Poms

Pom poms are a fun way to use up scraps. They make great additions to hand made hats or as tassels for blankets and scarves. They can also be used to make decorations and for a spot of yarn bombing. Pom poms are so easy to make, you don't even need a pom pom maker, check out this video on how to make a pom pom using a fork.


Heels

If you are a sock knitter or want to try your hand at sock knitting, heels are a perfect way to use up scraps of leftover yarn. I usually use rough 2-3g of yarn for heels (toes and cuffs too). They're an amazing way to add contrast to a sock pattern and you can get really creative by mixing up the colours used in toes and heels.


If I were to recommend a a sock pattern it wouild have to be my Join The Crew Socks. This pattern provides the potential to use up 8 different scraps of yarn.


Frankenstein Socks

Whilst we're still talking about socks, have you heard of Frankenstein socks? This amazing method of knitting up socks is the best when it comes to making something that is unique and scrap busting.
I made a pair a few years ago. You start with one shade of yarn and then when it runs out you attach the next.
Alternatively, you can make a magic yarn ball using the leftovers from your most recent finished project until you have enough for a pair of socks.



Neckline, Hemlines & Cuffs (oh my)

One of the best things about knitting and crochet is being able to customise your makes to suit your personality. If you're working on a garment and want to add a splash of colour without taking away from the finished look, why not work a couple of rows/rounds in the neckline, hemline or cuffs in scrap yarn. One to three rows/rounds can be enough to add a subtle hint of colour to a project.

You could also add one row/round of the scrap yarn to the main body of the garment as a way to customise the original pattern.


Decorations

Earlier in the post, I mentioned using pom poms for decorations. You can also knit or crochet other decorations. Miniature squares, triangles and circles make great bunting and Christmas decorations. They can also be used as wall hangings or for a mobile on a babies crib.

Earrings

Knitting is my main craft, though I used to make jewellery. Now and then I combine my creative endeavours to make something i'm in need of. Yarn can be used to make many things, not just wearable garments.

A knitted/crocheted sample can be used to make earrings or a pendant. You can also make bracelets, headbands or chokers.

I have two video tutorials of earring I made out of yarn. In order to make these I used embroidery thread, but the same concept can be followed using yarn. These could also be used for decoration too. The Myopa and Atika video tutorials.


                                                  


Weaving

As kids, many of us would have made cardboard looms to make small woven samples. Miniature looms are easy to make and you can use scrap yarn to create a piece of art to put on display or put to practical use.
Here's a great video explaining how to do this


Applique

If you're making a simple project and want to add a bit of interest, why not add a knitted or crocheted applique. This can be a small flower petal, hearts, circles, anything.
I crocheted appliques for these makes which were looking a little plain. There's no end to what you can make and what you can use them for.

        


Bookmarks

Advancements in technology mean that many people now read on electronic devices. But if you search hard enough you can still find those who like the feel of a book in their hands (I'm one of them).

Bookmarks are great to give to a bookworm friend or even to make for yourself. You can keep it simple by working up a long thin strip. Or jazz things up by working in some colour or even a motif. You could even add a pom-pom on the end.

Below are pictures of bookmarks I've made in the past. I didn't make patterns for these but I would be happy to put something together if there is enough interest.

       


Scrappy Blanket

One scrap busting project that I have been working on for some time, is a scrappy blanket. In fact, I have three, two crocheted and one knitted. The knitted blanket is a mitred square pattern. With these blankets, you add squares to the project as you go along, so there are no ends to weave in. Below is my knitted scrap blanket when I first started, here's a link to the pattern I used, it's free.


One of the crochet blankets is a zig-zag one. I'm working flat making zig-zag stripes adding new yarn when one runs out. The other crochet blanket is being worked in a square. With both crochet projects I'm using 4ply and DK weight yarn, however, with the square blanket, the 4ply yarn is held double. These are my go-to projects for when I don't have anything to do and I feel like working on something relatively mindless.

Projects such as these are perfect if you want something longterm, you don't have to be in a rush to finish them, just relax and enjoy the process.

I hope these suggestions have given you ideas on what to do with your scrap yarn. If you have any other tips and tricks, and love to hear them. Pop them in the comments so we can all make full use of our lovely stash.

Comments