The first of these is a savoury snack, which the tripolatas have asked for several times this week. I can't express how simple these are to whip up, making them a great after school treat.
In these cheese straws I've used home made garlic butter, but you can use any compound butter or plain butter. To make the garlic butter, mix minced garlic into softened butter along with some herbs (I used basil and oregano). This shouldn't be kept in the fridge for too long but you can form it into a log and store in the freezer. Cutting the butter into discs (once firmed up) makes it easier to use in the future.
So here's what you'll need: Makes about 16 sticks
1 Puff Pastry sheet
2-3 tbsp garlic butter
A handful of cheese
Here's what you'll need to do:
Preheat the oven to 220 *C
1. Roll out the puff pastry and spread the butter over it
2. Sprinkle the cheese over the top half of the pastry sheet
3. Fold the bottom half of the pastry sheet over the top
4. Cut into thin strips, twist and place on a lightly greased baking sheet
5. Bake for about 15 minutes, leave to cool on a baking sheet for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Eat and enjoy