July Round-Up



Summer is finally here, since the end of July the weather has been great and I'm hoping it continues throughout the summer holidays. As it's the holidays and I have a house full of kids and haven't done much yarnie work since they finished school.

For this round-up, I only have two FOs. but there are a handful of WIPs, a pinch of goodies, and as always the word for the month.

As always you can find a link to the video round-up at the bottom of this post.



Done and Dusted


The first project I finished in July was the Callie Cardie by Sublime Yarns. This the first adult garment I've made that requires seaming. There were 7 pieces in total so to make seaming easier I worked selvedge stitches along the edges of each piece.

I picked up buttons from a fabric store in my local shopping centre, which I think are perfect for this cardigan. I haven't blocked it yet because it's too hot to wear, but it can be worn without blocking.

Design Project/Socks


I doubled up with my July socks my also making them a design project. These are the first socks I've designed, I don't know why I ever thought it would be difficult. I've Christened them Überlappen, which means 'to overlap', in German.

The yarn is Rosies Moments in Splashes of Colour, which is a merino/nylon blend. I used a little under half a skein to make up these socks, so I'm going to use the remaining yarn for another sock design. Find out more in the WIPs section below.

On The Needles/All Hooked Up

Kids


All three Atlas jumpers have been cast on, I'm knitting them simultaneously so that they all get finished at the same time. I'm almost at the colourwork section on Mister's jumper, for Jimmy Jnr and Mr Man I've only worked the hem.

 

The jumper is worked from the bottom up using a tubular cast on, the instructions for which are very straightforward and results in a great looking hem.

Shawl



I started my July/August shawl at the end of July, it's Linus on the Line by Midwinter Yarns. This pattern in part of a kit and can't be purchased separately. The kit comes with Ullcentrum 2 ply sport weight. The colours I chose were Cold Grey and Blue Blend. Both are gradient yarns and I'm waiting eagerly to see the colour changes and how they work together.


I'm also working on another shawl called Gondola, this is part of a mystery kal hosted by Anniken Allis (Yarn Addict Anni). Anniken, is designing the shawl as she goes and posts Periscopes to introduce each part of the pattern. So far three parts have been released, but I have only completed part two.

The KAL is running until the end of the month and anyone who takes part will receive a free copy of the pattern once the final draft has been written up.

Socks

I stated earlier that I'm using the remainder of the Rosies Moments yarn to make another pair of design socks. I'm not sure if these will be my August socks as I'm planning on making another pair this month so that I will have a total of seven socks in my possession for the Box O Sox Kal being hosted by Kristin of the Yarngasm podcasts (I gave my March socks to my niece).

 These will be released as an Ebook along with Überlappen, hopefully by the beginning of the September.

Goodies Galore

Last month I had a nice little horde to show you, this month my goodies are little bare. I had two packages come through my door in July.

The first was yarn for Mister's Alas jumper and two sets of Addi sock rocket needles (3mm and 3.5), the second was the July crochet club box from For The Love of Yarn (Fortheloveofyarnuk on Etsy).


This month's colourway was based on watermelon and cocktails, as with the previous club box, the crochet hook isn't what I would go for, but the yarn looks great and will be a welcomed addition to the scrap yarn blankets.

Waiting In The Wing

The only other projects I have planned for August is a baby blanket for a relative who is expecting. It's going to have a similar design feature to the Apphia blanket. I'll also make some hats and booties.

Word For The Month

The Word for August is Proverbs 3:3-4. I go into more detail in the round-up, basically, be known for your heart towards others, it will bring you favour and respect.


Don’t ever forget kindness and truth.

    Wear them like a necklace.

    Write them on your heart as if on a tablet.
Then you will be respected
    and will please both God and people.




Comments