I finished the Argyll bookmark a couple of days ago (picture to come soon). As I was working the last few rows I began to think about another bookmark I had finished a few of weeks earlier. I was happy with the way the writing turned out but not with the look of the finished piece. As it was stranded, I found it hard to maintain a consistent tension. This has caused the width of the bookmark to be uneven.
As I thought of how I could improve this I remembered seeing something about embroidery in a knitting book. It's describes how to crochet on the surface of a knitted item to produce a motif. I've decided to try this method for the bookmark. This means that the main body will be worked in stocking stitch and then I will chain stitch the writing on the top. I may even be able to make the bookmark thinner as it looks a little thick.