Chicken Nuggets

Chicken nuggets recipe. Made with real chicken, so simple.

Though I do like a sweet treat, my absolute favourite type of snack is something savoury, especially if I can just pop it in my mouth. Bite sized snacks are also great for little mouths too, the tripolatas love sitting with a bowl of something they can eat whilst watching their favourite programmes.

They've only ever had chicken nuggets a couple of times, mainly because I've been dubious about what was actually inside them. It never occurred to me that I could make my own until I watched a programme which looked into the contents of nuggets (I was right to have reservations).


They demonstrated how easy it was to make them at home and I had a bit of a "Duh, why didn't you think of that" moment.
So a few weeks later I got round to making multiple batches. The first batch was eaten that day, the rest were bagged and placed in the fridge. They then only needed about 30 seconds to a minute in the microwave to heat up (depending on the quantity), alternatively they can be slightly under baked, frozen, then placed in the oven to cook through when needed.

Here's what you'll need:

2 skinless chicken breast fillets
2 slices of bread
1/2 tsp of garlic salt (you can use minced garlic and add salt to taste instead)
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Paprika
1-2 eggs (beaten)

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F
1. Place the bread, herbs and paprika in a food processor and whizz to form fine breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl
Real chicken nuggets by Mrs U Makes

2. Dice the chicken into bite sized chunks

3. Dip each chunk of chicken in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs, then place on a lined or lightly greased baking tray or sheet.

4. Bake for about 20 minutes

5. Cool a little and then enjoy.


Variation: I added grated Parmesan to the breadcrumbs before coating the last batch of nuggets, it added a smoked cheese flavour. I will try this again with other cheeses the next time I make it. I'll also try a spicy version.

What other ingredients would you try?


Comments

  1. These are the easiest things to make and the kids love them! I started making them years ago when My grand daughter had her picky eating stage (grown out of it a litte now at 14!)and she refused to eat most everything of nutritional value! but she loved to play dolphins and I was making them one day and called them "squid" as that is what dolphins eat. I let her pretend to be a dolphin, she'd jump around and stop to eat like I was feeding a dolphin. She ate a lunch full! and has loved chicken ever since. follow you from artsy fartsy linky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Cheri. I can't believe that I never realised how easy these are, so much better than the pre-packed or fast food variety. The youngest of my three used to eat like a horse, now he is becoming pickier with food (and sometime just a little bit lazy), I hope he grows out of it before he reaches his teens. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. These look great...and simple! Thanks for joining the WWDParty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the share at the #WWDParty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to know what you think.