Spicy Tomato, Lentil and Basil Soup
This has been adapted from a recipe a colleague gave me. It's so easy to make that I always have the ingredients to hand for when I get a hankering for soup.
The quantity of basil can be adjusted to suit individual taste, but I love basil and sometimes add more, likewise with the garlic.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 tin (400g) of chopped tomatoes
- 7-9 basil leaves
- 1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 850ml of stock
- 2 handfuls of red lentils
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper (to taste)
1. Heat the oil in a pan and sweat the onions until soft.
2. Add the garlic, tomatoes, basil, cayenne pepper and stock. Bring to the boil then simmer over a low to medium heat for 15-20 mins.
3. Add the lentils and continue to cook until the lentils become soft.
4. Take off the heat and allow to cool
5. Pour the soup into a blender and blend until the soup reaches your desired consistency.
6. Return the soup back onto the cooker and cook over a low heat for a further 2-3mins. Add salt, pepper and/ or basil to taste