More Baking Trials

I felt like baking over the weekend and as DH was at work I didn't want to make anything that was too time consuming or messy. I'd bought a madeleine tray a few weeks ago, something that I'd had my eye on for a while, so this seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it out. The moulds were a lot larger than I was expecting, the madeleines I'd seen online and in books were all small and dainty, mine almost looked like scallop shells.


Madeleine Pan
Madeleine Tray

All the recipes for madeleines seemed pretty straightforward so I was confident I could develop my own.

The first batch were baked at a medium to high temp, and by the time they were done, some of them looked a little dark.

Home made Madeleines
First batch of Madeleines

For the second batch I decided to lower the temperature, this helped a lot though when I added the remaining batter and put that in the oven, they were done a couple of minutes earlier and were almost darker than the first batch. I think I'll have to cool the tray down before putting another batch in next time.

Madeleines
Second batch of Madeleines

In terms of taste, they were delicious, my tripolatas snuck a few from the cooling rack when my back was turned. This the first non biscuit treat that they've loved, I'll have to think of other flavours and toppings once the recipe is finalised.
The only thing I wasn't happy about was their appearance, these don't look as defined as other madeleines I've seen. I'll keep on the look out for another tray with smaller, better defined moulds.


Chocolate and Biscuit Bites
Chocolate and Biscuit Bites

In my last post I discussed the baking fail, which I accidentally turned into a possible great new recipe. On Monday night I decided to try mixing the biscuits with chocolate and make some chocolate biscuit bites (I'm still working on a better name).

After leaving it in the fridge to set I cut them into squares, the chocolate seemed quite soft so I had put the bites in a container and keep them back in the fridge to firm them up. I should have expected this as it is a ganache, but I've come up with an idea on how to overcome this. I'll also add more biscuit for some extra bite.

They tasted delicious by the way.

These trials will have to go on hold for this week, due to other commitments. So if I'm very organised this coming weekend I'll make another batch of madeleines on Monday and maybe do another of the chocolate bites later that evening.

If all goes well, you'll have two more of my fabulous recipes to add to your collection.



Comments