Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Snowed In

For the second day my boys have not gone to nursery. It's not because the centre is closed or because the weather is too cold. It's because I can't push their monster of a buggy through the ice laden pavements without the wheels skidding or me slipping. I'm hoping that tomorrow the streets will be safer to venture out because I've barely done any crafting and I haven't done any food shopping. Even worse the boys don't get the opportunity to release all their energy and then have a long sleep in the afternoon. If only I had a big sleigh and some dogs, they could travel to nursery in style.

This is their monster truck

Monday, 21 January 2013

Stash Busting Blanket: Skien Two & Three

I'm now on the third Skien in my stash. I believe this and skien number two are King Cole Pricewise DK (I'll confirm this on my next update, with the shade).

I can confirm that I have 490 stitches. After working the first three rows I realised that I HAD miscounted and the ripple pattern was not even. There was no way that I was going to start again so before the colour change I worked some extra increase stitches to give me the right number. Now the pattern is working perfectly.

The blanket is a lot bigger than I originally planned but then I'm not complaining, with the winters we've been having lately it will be nice to have a big blanket to cosy under. Though it probably wont be ready to use until next year.

I may use a darker shade next and possibly a thicker weight of yarn.

Ruana/Gilet Finished

As promised here are the pictures of the finished piece.

What do you think?

Friday, 18 January 2013

Stash Busting Blanket

I've long been trying to find a way to reduce my stash of yarn so that I don't feel guilty each time I buy new yarn for a new project.
Yesterday I felt like looking through my Ravelry queue, just to see if I'd stored any good cardigan patterns. Whilst scrolling through I came across this pattern for a ripple blanket http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/neat-ripple-pattern

It's perfect for getting rid of all that old yarn that I can't find any real use for. I started yesterday night, working the foundation chain took an eternity because I kept losing count (I couldn't be bothered to go upstairs for my stitch markers), I knew I had around 470 something.

In the end I just decided to start, and prayed that I had the right number of chains (I had one extra).

I have no idea how long it will take me to finish but I know at the end of it I'll have space for more yarn.

Here is a picture of the first row, the yarn I'm using first is Hayfields Bonus DK.

Saturday, 12 January 2013

News

I have to bits of news, the first and most exciting is that I'm now selling on Etsy, yay.
Misi is ok but I find the interface very annoying, also I still haven't had a response in relation to my issues with listing a PDF pattern. Hopefully things at Etsy would be a lot better.

The second piece of news is that I've completed the first item in the 'Story Time Collection' it's called 'Wonderland Treats' I can't wait to show you.

Thursday, 10 January 2013

Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Agate Nuggets & Story Time

The agate nuggets I ordered from the Jewellery Maker channel arrived over the weekend. The holes are not as big as I thought (don't know why I thought they were doughnut shaped), so I'll have to adapt some of the designs I had in mind.
I'm currently working on the Story Time collection, so the agate pieces will be sorted afterwards.

Speaking about the Story Time collection, I've got all but one of the charms needed to make the necklaces. Some of the charms I've ordered are larger than I was expecting, in particular a teapot which doesn't look like a teapot as it has two handles and no spout. This would have been perfect as it looks ceramic with a Chinese style design. I'll now have to order another one I've seen that's antique silver.

I've also got to order the chains which are going to be sterling silver.
Can't wait until everything is complete.

Ruana/Gilet Update

So yesterday I finished the second panel, worked the button holes and added buttons. When trying it on, the area around the shoulders was very baggy. I'm going to work some single crochet decrease stitches to bring them in. I also have to redo the button holes as they were too large and reposition the buttons so that the garment is more fitted.

Below is a picture of what I have do far. Ignore the little feet, these belong to DS#3, who kept trying to sit on it.

Thursday, 3 January 2013

Jewellery Making Back On

Last week my mum called me up to tell me about two channels selling craft items, one for jewellery making and another for general craft (though after watching it I get the impression they are catered more towards card makers).

I checked out the jewellery making channel and stumbled upon some doughnut shaped Agate gemstones. These looked too good to pass up, I'm not entirely sure how I'll use them but I have a few ideas.

Also after watching 'Alice in Wonderland' over Christmas, I came up with the idea of making necklaces illustrating various fairy tales and nursery rhymes. I'm going to call it 'The Story Time Collection'. I've ordered some charms/pendants and some arrived this morning. Once all the charms and pendants have been delivered I'll buy the chains and put it all together.

I think this is the best way to get back into the jewellery game. Once my little men are in nursery full time I can really get things going.

Ruana/Gilet Front Right Panel

I've just completed the front right panel of the ruana/gilet that I'm making for myself (as oppose to the one I'm making as part of my first collection). I would have finished it a couple of days ago but I've been a little preoccupied, partly with procrastination. I just have to complete the left panel and then work a border and add buttons. I'm aiming to complete this in a week, then I can work on getting my collection started.