Shortbread and Chocolate Sandwich Bites

As promised here is the improved recipe for the shortbread sandwiches that I have been working on.
I absolutely love this buttery biscuit. Their small size means they're a great treat for all the family or can be nicely packaged as a yummy gift. I made these yesterday and my boys couldn't keep their hands off them, so I hope you love them too.

For The Shortbread
175g Plain flour, plus an extra 2 tbsp in a bowl
50g Castor sugar
pinch of salt
115g Unsalted butter, softened

For The Ganache
75g Plain chocolate
75ml Double cream

Method (makes 16 sandwich bites)
  • Add the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and mix together. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the bowl.
  • Mix the ingredients together by hand until they form a dough, take care not to work the dough too much. If the dough is quite soft it can be wrapped in cling film and placed in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
  • Roll 10g portions of the dough into balls and place onto a lined baking sheet.
  • Dip a fork into the bowl of flour then press down on the balls of dough until flattened.
  • Place in a preheated oven at 150C/300F for 12-14, turning the baking sheet at the last two minutes to ensure an even bake.

Biscuit dough on silicone baking sheet
Oven ready

  • When they begin to colour at the bottom they are ready to come out. Place them on a wire rack to cool.
  • Whilst they are cooling, make the ganache by breaking the chocolate into a sauce pan and adding the cream.Gently warm the chocolate and cream whilst stirring until the chocolate has melted.
  • Using an electric hand whisk, whisk the chocolate until it is thick and glossy, this should take about 10 minutes.

Shortbread biscuits on cooling rack
Fresh from the oven

  • Place the chocolate in a piping bag and pipe the onto the bottom of a biscuit then sandwich with another. Alternatively you can spread the chocolate onto the biscuit.
  • If the ganache is a too soft for your liking, the biscuits can be placed in the fridge to for the ganache to stiffen.

Shortbread Chocolate Sandwich Bites on a plate
Take a bite

  • Eat and enjoy
These will keep in an air tight container for a few days.

As an alternative you can flatten the balls using the floured bottom of a glass, for a smoothed look, or try them without the filling. Why not try other fillings such as jam and cream.

I would love to know what you think of these and what variations you have tried.

Happy Baking...

Before you go, a little update on my finger.

On Friday I was cleaning the windows and somehow stepped on my little finger, the one I had broken a couple of months ago. The pain was really bad for the first minute but then it went and I was able to finish the windows. Throughout the rest of the morning my finger throbbed on and off so I decided to go to A&E to make sure I hadn't broken it...again.

Well I hadn't broken it again, however, I was told by the doctor that the GP I had originally seen should have placed my finger in a splint or taped it to the ring finger in-order to keep it as straight as possible. Now that it's started to heal in a bent position, he said that there is a chance that it may stay that way. I have an appointment booked with the fracture clinic today and I couldn't believe how quick it was for them to set up considering the fact that I'm still waiting for the appointment that my GP arranged at the same fracture clinic. If I had gone to A&E from the start all of this could have been avoided


Comments